1. * The recounts of Election 2000 made Americans (and the rest of the world) aware that this word wasn't just a country!
5. * The hottest author on the planet in the year 2000
13. * The ___ was on for the next President of the United States of America, in 2000 --the year which marked the closest election in American history, so close that votes needed to recounted ...again, and again... (See #1A for a Related Clue!)
14. * Word that appeared in headlines regarding Ford and Bridgestone/Firestone, in the year 2000
15. Graven image
16. Small scrap of food
18. Emperor of Rome
19. * In the year 2000, this city was in the world spotlight because of Elian Gonzalez
22. Mr. Corbusier
23. Type of proposition
25. * In the year 2000, Richard Hatch won it on "Survivor" (TV)
28. It expresses position
29. Convent prayer
31. Letters sometimes seen in TV listings
32. The 12th letter of the Greek alphabet
33. Baseball org.
34. Bread classic
36. Entertainment magazine
38. Simpson Trial judge
41. * A discovery of a ___ fossil was revealed to the world in the year 2000
46. * Mr. Gibson starred in this movie of 2000: "What Women Want"
48. Abbr. sometimes seen with a telephone number
49. Paddles, minus the "rs"
50. Acronym sometimes seen at the start of news stories
51. Some Thing
53. Certain clergyman, for short
54. Mythical bird
55. Newspaper promo
56. * In the year 2000, this celebrity announced she would be getting divorced from her husband after just 16 months of marriage
60. * The year 2000's most famous bride
62. He (Initials) was the leader of Black Sabbath
63. * Bruce Willis won in the Favorite Motion Picture Star in a Drama category for his work in this movie, at the 2000 Peoples Choice Awards: "The ___ Sense"
65. Fit of the chills
66. * Pondered in English Class: "___ the seventh letter of the alphabet?"
68. Comparative suffix
70. Canadian insurrectionist
71. Heard in Popular Music class: "Bernie Taupin was the lyricist for Elton John's music, just ___ Gershwin was the lyricist on George Gershwin's music."
72. * In 2000, he married Jennifer in a much publicized ceremony
73. * In 2000, he replaced Milosevic as the President of Yugoslavia
74. * She married Hollywood star Michael Douglas in the Fall of 2000: Catherine ___ Jones
1. Mr. Magnon Man
3. Director's command
4. French novelist: Simone ___ Beauvoir
5. Chinese novelist: Zhang ___
6. Jazzy singer-pianist: Diana ___
7. Beat Back
8. City of southern Netherlands
9. Quality fabric
10. The same as
11. * In the year 2000, the United States granted China this: Permanent ___ Trade Relations
14. * In the year 2000, this First Minister of the coalition government of Northern Ireland pushed for the Sinn Fein (the political wing of the Irish Republican Army) to disarm
20. Indefinite article
21. * In the year 2000, this heavy metal rock band sued Napster (the online song swapping site) for allowing the swapping of the band's music files without paying out royalties in return
23. * In the year 2000, DNA testing revealed that a heart preserved in a cryptal vase in the Royal Chapel in the Cathedral of St. Denis belonged to this person, contrary to the popular belief of the last two centuries
24. * For two weeks in September, the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games managed to ___ the countries of the World
26. Des Moines is the capital here, for short
27. John Lennon song: "___ a Loser"
30. ET's craft
33. The fragrance by Cacharel
35. Before, briefly
37. Hinton the Novelist
39. Explosive letters
40. * It was desired in the Middle East and Northern Ireland, in the year 2000
42. Baseball ref
43. What a green light means
44. * The Russian submarine called the "Kursk" sank into the ___ of the Barents, in the year 2000
45. Ms. Stark who once dated Prince Andrew
50. Music term that means "in a slow or leisurely tempo"
52. Thanks, in Britain
53. He (Initials) sings "Maggie May"
54. * Even though he had previously chosen to ___, hockey great Mario Lemieux announced in 2000 that he would return to his favorite sport to be the "best player in the world"
55. Spooky Story Start: "It was ___ and stormy night..."
56. Slender, minus the "e"
57. Famed winery: Martini & ___
58. Relating to a certain system of exercises that features the "lotus position"
59. Roman Numerals for 110
61. "Streets" in Strasbourg
66. * Thorpe who was a swimming star at the 2000 Olympics
67. Historical period
69. Nutrient intake letters
72. Used by the U.S. Army as a code word for a certain gas