1. * One (var. sp.) would have been made with the hide of #41A
5. * Member of an indigenous people of northeastern Nebraska
14. Twos opposites
15. * Buffy Sainte-___ (Singer-songwriter who wrote "Native North American Child")
16. Hamitic language
17. * They were set to catch beavers (See #43D for a Related Clue)
19. * Northwest Coast Indians were skilled craftsmen who made fine wood carvings, and carved things such as these: Markers for ___
21. Initials of a former First Lady
22. eeB retfa retteL
23. Thanks, in Britain
25. "That hurts!"
26. * Said long ago: "Don't you find ___ that even though we were here first, the European explorers think they can just come in and take over?" (See #12D for a Related Clue)
28. * An ___ captured in battle by the Northwest Coast Indians (which included the Bella Coola, Chinook, Haida and Nootka) would be kept as a slave --and regarded as a very valuable possession, and marker of wealth
32. * Many indigenous cultures of North America believe in a powerful ___ world
33. * Adolescent (See #10D for a Related Clue)
34. Unemotional, without the "Sto"
36. * Some northern tribes would use stone to make these: ___ Blades
40. "lufn" eht sunim ,yhcA
41. * Animal that was crucial to the survival of the Plains Indians
45. Sports org.
46. Place at an angle
48. * Hard-shelled seed that was part of the diet of many aboriginal peoples
49. Playful trick ...all shook up?
51. Ms. Hinton
52. Duo ...on the fritz?
54. * Weapons in Westerns
56. * They were used to travel by water
60. Perspire (bkwds.)
61. Blood Type: O ___ Negative
62. "Big whoop!"
65. Doc's assistant
66. * European Explorer's comment: "This looks like ___ of some kind. Let's follow it to see where it leads."
69. * Dentalia Shells = ___ Shells
71. Ceremonial Staff ...spelled backwards?
75. * Algonquian language
76. Types of fish
78. Sort of Sovereign
1. * Beautifully carved pole
2. Concerning, for short
3. * Ceremonial Calumet
4. AOL, e.g.
5. Mantric word
6. Periodic Publication, punily
7. * Weapon used in battle
8. * Henry Wadsworth Longfellow poem about a legendary hero: "The Song of ___" (1855)
9. "l" eht sunim ,taeM fo epyT
10. * A boy who was a #33A might have gone through an initiation ceremony to enter adulthood that involved ___ or going out all alone into the wilderness for a period of time
11. * Navajo artists are renowned for creating beautiful jewelry of silver. Question: What is the symbol for silver?
12. * Treaties sometimes are passed to resolve injustices concerning these
13. * ___ Dunmore's War (The white man against the Shawnee, Delaware, Wyandot and Cayuga)
18. Certain Caps ...flipped around?
24. Pierre's Pal
27. Singer (Initials) of Black Sabbath
29. Finial on a Fish ...but it's backwards?
30. Metallic Element, minus the "trium"
31. Not fake
32. * Ceremony of the Hopi
35. * Where some of the Mohave people were from, without the "fornia"
36. Legendary rock group
37. Situated at the Stern of a Ship
39. * An oral history was passed down by the ___ of indigenous clans
42. Sort of Sloth
43. * Native Americans partook in the ___ with the Europeans
44. * In search of food, it's how aboriginal peoples roamed the land before the Europeans introduced the horse to the New World
47. * Dome-shaped dwellings
50. Ginger's follower
53. * Piece of timber in a traditional structure
54. Sun God, in Egyptian Mythology
55. And Outs starter
57. Sticky Stuff, without the "Gl"
58. * Tribe leader
59. * Reddish earth used for decoration
60. * It would be used to create various structures and things: ___ Bark
64. * In past times, some people would make ___ from plants such as the sassafras or wintergreen
67. Chest bone
68. Landowner, without the "rd"
70. * On the 10th day of this mo. the war at #13D ended at Point Pleasant, West Virginia
72. Mr. Pacino
74. Road, for short