News and Events of 1908
- Earthquake and resulting tsunami
kill 70,000 to 100,000 in southern Italy and Sicily.
- Petroleum production starts in Middle East.
- Mysterious Siberian explosion levels hundreds of square miles of forest. Explanations include a comet, meteorite, natural atomic explosion, or crashed UFO.
8.0%Cost of a first-class stamp:
Chicago Cubs d. Detroit (4-1)
Charlotte Sterry d. A. Morton (6-4 6-4)Men:
Arthur Gore d. R. Barrett (6-3 6-2 4-6 3-6 6-4)
Kentucky Derby Champion
NCAA Football Champions
Penn (CFRA, HF) (11-0-1) & LSU (NCF) (10-0-0)
- Arnold Schoenberg's Book of Hanging Gardens released, bringing new style to classical music. Harmony and tonality are replaced by dissonance, creating what many listeners consider to be
Nobel Prizes in Science
Chemistry: Sir Ernest Rutherford (UK), for investigations into disintegration of elements
Physics: Gabriel Lippmann (France), for method of reproducing colors by photography
Physiology or Medicine: Paul Ehrlich (Germany) and Elie Metchnikoff (USSR), for work on immunity
- Henry Ford develops the first Model T automobile, which sells for $850.