News and Events of 1914
- World War I begins: Austria declares war on Serbia; Germany on Russia and France; Britain on Germany.
- Austrian Archduke Francis Ferdinand and wife Sophie assassinated in Sarajevo by Serbian nationalist Gavrilo Princip.
- Panama Canal is officially opened after 10 years of construction.
$0.73 billionConsumer Price Index:
7.9%Cost of a first-class stamp:
Boston Braves d. Philadelphia A's (4-0)
Toronto Blueshirts (NHA)
Dorothea Chambers d. E. Larcombe (7-5 6-4)Men:
Norman Brookes d. T. Wilding (6-4 6-4 7-5)
Kentucky Derby Champion
NCAA Football Champions
- In his second big-screen appearance, Charlie Chaplin plays the Little Tramp, his most famous character.
- Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan of the Apes published.
- Winsor McCay unleashes Gertie the Dinosaur, the first animated cartoon.
Nobel Prizes in Science
Chemistry: Theodore W. Richards (US), for determining atomic weight of many chemical elements
Physics: Max von Laue (Germany), for discovery of diffraction of Roentgen rays passing through crystals
Physiology or Medicine: Robert Bárány (Austria), for work on physiology and pathology of the vestibular system
- George Washington Carver begins experimenting with peanuts as a new cash crop for Southern farmers.
- The last known passenger pigeon dies in the Cincinnati Zoo.