News and Events of 1915
- The one millionth Ford automobile rolls off the assembly line.
- The Superior Court in Fulton County, Ga. accepts the charter for the establishment of the new Ku Klux Klan (Dec. 4).
$0.75 billionConsumer Price Index:
8.5%Cost of a first-class stamp:
Boston Red Sox d. Philadelphia Phillies (4-1)
Vancouver Millionaires (PCHA)
Not held (World War I)Men:
Not held (World War I)
Kentucky Derby Champion
NCAA Football Champions
- D.W. Griffith's technically brilliant Civil War epic, The Birth of a Nation, introduces the narrative close-up, the flashback and other elements that endure today as the structural principles of narrative filmmaking.
- Ruth St. Denis and her husband, Ted Shawn, establish the Denishawn dance school in Los Angeles, where Martha Graham and Doris Humphrey study.
- Audrey Munson, playing a model for a sculptor in the film Inspiration, becomes the first actress to shed her clothes on screen.
Nobel Prizes in Science
Chemistry: Richard Willstätter (Germany), for research into coloring matter of plants, especially chlorophyll
Physics: Sir William Bragg and William L. Bragg (UK), for analysis of crystal structure by X-rays
Physiology or Medicine: None awarded