News and Events of 1916
- Congress authorizes a plan to expand the U.S. armed forces over the next five years (June).
- Montana voters elect 36-year-old Republican Jeannette Rankin, the first woman to serve in the U.S. Congress.
- U.S. National Park Service in the Department of the Interior is created by act of Congress (Aug. 20).
- Margaret Sanger opens the first birth control clinic in the country at 46 Amboy St., Brooklyn.
$0.71 billionConsumer Price Index:
5.1%Cost of a first-class stamp:
Boston Red Sox d. Brooklyn (4-1)
Montreal Canadiens (NHA)
Not held (World War I)Men:
Not held (World War I)
Kentucky Derby Champion
NCAA Football Champions
- Charlie Chaplin signs on with Mutual Studios and earns an unprecedented $10,000 a week.
- Albert Einstein completes his mathematical formulation of a general theory of relativity, which includes gravity.