News and Events of 1917
- U.S. declares war with Germany (Apr. 6). Background: World War I
- "I Want You." James Montgomery Flagg's poster, featuring Uncle Sam and based on a 1914 British poster, attracts thousands of U.S. recruits to WWI duty.
- Between ten thousand and fifteen thousand blacks silently walk down New York City's Fifth Avenue to protest racial discrimination and violence (July 28). Background: civil rights
$1.95 billionConsumer Price Index:
4.6%Cost of a first-class stamp:
$0.02 ($0.03 as of 11/3/17)
Chicago White Sox d. NY Giants (4-2)
Seattle Metropolitans (PCHA)
Not held (World War I)Men:
Not held (World War I)
Kentucky Derby Champion
NCAA Football Champions
Georgia Tech (9-0-0)
- The first Pulitzer Prizes are awarded for editorial writing, reporting, history of the United States, and biography or autobiography.
- The first op-ed page appears in the New York Times.