News and Events of 1940
- Selective Service Act signed.
- The first Social Security benefit checks are paid out (Jan 30).
- The Pennsylvania Turnpike opens. It is the first multilane U.S. superhighway. The first Los Angeles freeway opens.
- The first McDonald's hamburger stand opens in Pasadena, Calif.
$9.47 billionFederal debt:
$50.7 billionConsumer Price Index:
14.6%Cost of a first-class stamp:
Cincinnati d. Detroit (4-3)
NY Rangers d. Toronto (4-2)
Not held (World War II)Men:
Not held (World War II)
Kentucky Derby Champion
NCAA Basketball Championship
Indiana d. Kansas (60-42)
NCAA Football Champions
Fiction: The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck
Drama: The Time of Your Life, William Saroyan
Oscars awarded in 1940
Academy Award, Best Picture: Gone With the Wind (Selznick International Pictures; MGM)
Miss America: Frances Marie Burke (PA)More Entertainment Awards...
- CBS demonstrates color television in New York.
- WNBT, the first regularly operating television station, debuts in New York with an estimated 10,000 viewers.
- It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Superman! The radio show debuts.
- The first Bugs Bunny cartoon.