News and Events of 1960
US GDP (1998 dollars):
$526.6 billionFederal spending:
$92.19 billionFederal debt:
$290.5 billionConsumer Price Index:
5.5%Cost of a first-class stamp:
Pittsburgh d. NY Yankees (4-3)
Boston d. St. Louis Hawks (4-3)
Montreal d. Toronto (4-0)
Maria Bueno d. S. Reynolds (8-6 6-0)Men:
Neale Fraser d. R. Laver (6-4 3-6 9-7 7-5)
Kentucky Derby Champion
NCAA Basketball Championship
Ohio St. d. California (75-55)
NCAA Football Champions
Minnesota (AP, UPI, NFF) (8-2-0) & Mississippi (FW) (10-0-1)
Fiction: Advise and Consent, Allen Drury
Music: Second String Quartet, Elliott Carter
Drama: Fiorello! George Abbott, Jerome Weidman, Jerry Bock, and Sheldon Harnick
Oscars awarded in 1960
Academy Award, Best Picture: Ben-Hur, Sam Zimbalist, producer (MGM)
Nobel Prize for Literature: St. John Perse (Alexis St.-Léger Léger) (France)
1960 Emmy Awards
1960 Tony Awards
Grammys awarded in 1960
Record of the Year: "Mack the Knife," Bobby Darin
Album of the Year: Come Dance With Me, Frank Sinatra (Capitol)
Song of the Year: "The Battle of New Orleans," Jimmy Driftwood, songwriter
Miss America: Lynda Lee Mead (MS)More Entertainment Awards...
- Seventy million people watch the presidential debate between Sen. John F. Kennedy and Vice President Richard Nixon.
- John Coltrane forms his own quartet and becomes the voice of jazz's New Wave movement.
- Ninety percent of U.S. homes have a television set.
- Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho terrifies movie-goers and becomes one of the year's most successful films, as well as one of the most memorable psychological thrillers.
- Psycho, The Apartment, The Sundowners, Sons and Lovers
Nobel Prizes in Science
Chemistry: Willard F. Libby (US), for “atomic time clock” to measure age of objects by measuring their radioactivity
Physics: Donald A. Glaser (US), for invention of ""bubble chamber"" to study subatomic particles
Physiology or Medicine: Sir Macfarlane Burnet (Australia) and Peter Brian Medawar (UK), for discovery of acquired immunological tolerance