News and Events of 1977
US GDP (1998 dollars):
$2,026.90 billionFederal spending:
$409.22 billionFederal debt:
$706.4 billionMedian Household Income
$13,572 Consumer Price Index:
7.1%Cost of a first-class stamp:
Oakland d. Minnesota (32-14)
NY Yankees d. LA Dodgers (4-2)
Portland d. Philadelphia 76ers (4-2)
Montreal d. Boston (4-0)
Virginia Wade d. B. Stove (4-6 6-3 6-1)Men:
Bjorn Borg d. J. Connors (3-6 6-2 6-1 5-7 6-4)
Kentucky Derby Champion
NCAA Basketball Championship
Marquette d. North Carolina (67-59)
NCAA Football Champions
Notre Dame (11-1-0)
Music: Visions of Terror and Wonder, Richard Wernick
Drama: The Shadow Box, Michael Cristofer
Oscars awarded in 1977
Academy Award, Best Picture: Rocky, Irwin Winkler and Robert Chartoff, producers (United Artists)
Nobel Prize for Literature: Vicente Aleixandre (Spain)
1977 Emmy Awards
1977 Tony Awards
Grammys awarded in 1977
Record of the Year: "This Masquerade," George Benson
Album of the Year: Songs in the Key of Life, Stevie Wonder (Tamla/Motown)
Song of the Year: "I Write the Songs," Bruce Johnston, songwriter
Miss America: Dorothy Kathleen Benham (MN)More Entertainment Awards...
- The TV miniseries Roots draws an audience of 130 million.
- Star Wars hits theaters--for the first time--and will go on to be the second highest-grossing film of all time.
- Saturday Night Fever sparks the disco inferno and the popularity of movie soundtracks.
- Elvis Presley dies at Graceland, his Memphis, Tenn. home. He was 42.
- Saturday Night Fever, Star Wars, Annie Hall, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Julia
- Various artists, Saturday Night Fever soundtrack
Nobel Prizes in Science
Chemistry: Ilya Prigogine (Belgium), for contributions to nonequilibrium thermodynamics, particularly the theory of dissipative structures
Physics: Philip W. Anderson, John H. Van Vleck (both US), and Nevill F. Mott (UK), for work underlying computer memories and electronic devices
Physiology or Medicine: Rosalyn S. Yalow, Roger C. L. Guillemin, and Andrew V. Schally (all US), for research in role of hormones in chemistry of the body