News and Events of 1983
US GDP (1998 dollars):
$3,514.50 billionFederal spending:
$808.38 billionFederal debt:
$1371.7 billionMedian Household Income
$20,885 Consumer Price Index:
9.6%Cost of a first-class stamp:
Washington d. Miami (27-17)
Baltimore d. Philadelphia Phillies (4-1)
Philadelphia 76ers d. LA Lakers (4-0)
NY Islanders d. Edmonton (4-0)
Martina Navratilova d. A. Jaeger (6-0 6-3)Men:
John McEnroe d. C. Lewis (6-2 6-2 6-2)
Kentucky Derby Champion
NCAA Basketball Championship
N.C. State d. Houston (54-52)
NCAA Football Champions
Fiction: The Color Purple, Alice Walker
Music: Three Movements for Orchestra, Ellen T. Zwilich
Drama: 'Night, Mother, Marsha Norman
Oscars awarded in 1983
Academy Award, Best Picture: Gandhi, Richard Attenborough, producer (Columbia)
Nobel Prize for Literature: William Golding (UK)
1983 Emmy Awards
1983 Tony Awards
Grammys awarded in 1983
Record of the Year: "Rosanna," Toto
Album of the Year: Toto IV, Toto (Columbia)
Song of the Year: "Always on My Mind," Johnny Christopher, Mark James and Wayne Carson, songwriters
Miss America: Debra Maffett (CA)More Entertainment Awards...
- With the introduction of noise-free compact discs, the vinyl record begins a steep decline.
- Harvey Fierstein's Torch Song Trilogy wins the New York Drama Critics' Circle Award and Tony Award for best play, marking the acceptance of gay theater.
- Singer Karen Carpenter dies of complications from anorexia nervosa at age 32.
- More than 125 million viewers tune in to the last episode of M*A*S*H.
- The Big Chill, Terms of Endearment, Fanny & Alexander, The Right Stuff
- J.M. Coetzee, Life & Times of Michael K
- William Kennedy, Ironweed
Nobel Prizes in Science
Chemistry: Henry Taube (US), for research on how electrons transfer between molecules in chemical reactions
Physics: Subrahmanyam Chandrasekhar and William A. Fowler (both US), for complementary research on processes involved in the evolution of stars
Physiology or Medicine: Barbara McClintock (US), for her discovery of mobile genes in the chromosomes of a plant that change the future generations of plants they produce