Meaning of Anglo-Saxon
Pronunciation: (ang'glō-sak'sun), [key]
- an English person of the period before the Norman Conquest.
- See(def. 1).
- the original Germanic element in the English language.
- plain and simple English, esp. language that is blunt, monosyllabic, and often rude or vulgar.
- a person whose native language is English.
- a person of English descent.
- (in the U.S.) a person of colonial descent or British origin.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the Anglo-Saxons.
- of or pertaining to Anglo-Saxon.
- English-speaking; British or American.
- (of words, speech, or writing) blunt, monosyllabic, and often vulgar.
- Anglo-Saxon (Thesaurus)