Meaning of cross section
- a section made by a plane cutting anything transversely, esp. at right angles to the longest axis.
- a piece so cut off.
- a photograph, diagram, or other pictorial representation of such a section.
- the act of cutting anything across.
- a typical selection; a sample showing all characteristic parts, relationships, etc.: a cross section of American opinion.
- a vertical section of the ground surface taken at right angles to a survey line.
- Also calleda quantity expressing the effective area that a given nucleus presents as a target to a bombarding particle, giving a measure of the probability that the particle will induce a reaction.
Pronunciation: (krôs'sek'shun, kros'-), [key]
- of or pertaining to a cross section.
- to make or divide into a cross section.
- cross section (Thesaurus)