debit: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (deb'it), [key]
- the recording or an entry of debt in an account.
- that which is entered in an account as a debt; a recorded item of debt.
- any entry or the total shown on the debit side.
- the left-hand side of an account on which such entries are made (opposed to credit).
- an undesirable or disadvantageous feature.
- to charge with a debt: The store debited her account for the purchase.
- to charge as a debt: The store debited the purchase to her account.
- to enter upon the debit side of an account.
- debit (Thesaurus)