Meaning of distribution
Pronunciation: (dis"tru-by'shun), [key]
- an act or instance of distributing.
- the state or manner of being distributed.
- arrangement; classification.
- something that is distributed.
- the frequency of occurrence or the natural geographic range or place where any item or category of items occurs: What is the distribution of coniferous forests in the world?
- placement, location, arrangement, or disposition: The distribution of our troops is a military secret.
- apportionment: The court decided the distribution of the property among the heirs.
- the delivery or giving out of an item or items to the intended recipients, as mail or newspapers.
- the total number of an item delivered, sold, or given out: The distribution of our school paper is now 800.
- the marketing, transporting, merchandising, and selling of any item.
- (in bridge and other card games) the way in which the suits of a deck of cards are, or one specific suit is, divided or apportioned in one player's hand or among the hands of all the players: My distribution was six spades, four hearts, two clubs, and a singleton diamond.
- the division of the aggregate income of any society among its members, or among the factors of production.
- the system of dispersing goods throughout a community.
- a set of values or measurements of a set of elements, each measurement being associated with an element.
- a generalized function used esp. in solving differential equations.
- distribution (Thesaurus)