Meaning of free fall
- the hypothetical fall of a body such that the only force acting upon it is that of gravity.
- the part of a parachute jump that precedes the opening of the parachute.
- a decline, esp. a sudden or rapid decline, as in value or prestige, that appears to be endless or bottomless: The economy was in a free fall all winter.
Pronunciation: (frē'fôl"), [key]
— v., adj., n. -fell, -fall•en, -fall•ing,
- (of parachutists) to descend initially, as for a designated interval, in a free fall: The jumpers were required to free-fall for eight seconds.
- denoting or suggesting a free fall: a free-fall recession.
- free fall (defs. 1, 2).
- free fall (Thesaurus)