hoop: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (hp, hoop), [key]
- a circular band or ring of metal, wood, or other stiff material.
- such a band for holding together the staves of a cask, tub, etc.
- a large ring of iron, wood, plastic, etc., used as a plaything for a child to roll along the ground.
- a circular or ringlike object, part, figure, etc.
- the shank of a finger ring.
- a wicket.
- a circular band of stiff material used to expand and display a woman's skirt.
- the metal ring from which the net is suspended; rim.
- the metal ring and net taken together; the basket.
- the game of basketball.
- a decorative band, as around a mug or cup.
- to bind or fasten with or as if with a hoop or hoops.
- to encircle; surround.
- hoop (Thesaurus)