Meaning of jack-o'-lantern
Pronunciation: ( jak'u-lan"turn), [key]
- a hollowed pumpkin with openings cut to represent human eyes, nose, and mouth and in which a candle or other light may be placed, traditionally made for display at Halloween.
- a commercially made lantern resembling this.
- any phenomenon of light, as a corona discharge or an ignis fatuus.
- a poisonous luminescent orange fungus, Omphalotus olearius, often found in clusters at the base of hardwood tree stumps.
- jack-o'-lantern (Thesaurus)