Meaning of short circuit
— Elect. Elect.
- an abnormal, usually unintentional condition of relatively low resistance between two points of different potential in a circuit, usually resulting in a flow of excess current.
Pronunciation: (shôrt"sûr'kit), [key]
- to make (an appliance, switch, etc.) inoperable by establishing a short circuit in.
- to carry (a current) as a short circuit.
- to bypass, impede, hinder, or frustrate: Bad weather short-circuited my vacation plans.
- to form a short circuit or become inoperable due to a short circuit.
- short circuit (Thesaurus)