Meaning of sitting
Pronunciation: (sit'ing), [key]
- the act of a person or thing that sits.
- a period of remaining seated, as in posing for a portrait or reading a book.
- the space on or in which one sits, as in a church.
- a brooding, as of a hen upon eggs; incubation.
- the number of eggs on which a bird sits during a single hatching; clutch.
- a session, as of a court or legislature.
- the time or space allotted to the serving of a meal to a group, as aboard a ship.
- (of a bird) occupying a nest of eggs for hatching.
- of, for, or suited to sitting: a sitting area in the lobby.
- holding an official position or office; occupying an appointed or elected seat; incumbent: a sitting pontiff.
- in session or at work; active: a sitting legislature.
- in an auspicious position: He's been sitting pretty since he got that new job.
- sitting (Thesaurus)