standby: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (stand'bī"), [key]
— n., pl. adj. -bys,
- a staunch supporter or adherent; one who can be relied upon.
- something upon which one can rely and therefore choose or use regularly.
- something or someone held ready to serve as a substitute, esp. a radio or television program used as a filler in case of cancellation of a regularly scheduled program.
- a traveler who is waiting for last-minute accommodations to become available on a plane, train, or other transport as a result of a cancellation.
- in a state of readiness to act, respond, or be used immediately when needed.
- kept readily available for use in an emergency, shortage, or the like: a standby player.
- of or pertaining to last-minute accommodations, the transport that offers them, or a traveler who is waiting for them: a standby flight.
- of or pertaining to a waiting period.
- standby (Thesaurus)