ton: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (tun), [key]
- a unit of weight, equivalent to 2000 pounds (0.907 metric ton) avoirdupoisin the U.S. and 2240 pounds (1.016 metric tons) avoirdupoisin Great Britain.
- Also called freight ton. a unit of volume for freight that weighs one ton, varying with the type of freight measured, as 40 cubic feet of oak timber or 20 bushels of wheat.
- See metric ton.
- See displacement ton.
- a unit of volume used in transportation by sea, commonly equal to 40 cubic feet (1.13 cu. m)
- a unit of internal capacity of ships, equal to 100 cubic feet (2.83 cu. m)
- Often, tons.a great quantity; a lot: a ton of jokes; tons of wedding presents.
- a speed of 100 miles per hour.
Pronunciation: (Fr. tôn), [key]
— pl. tons
- high fashion; stylishness.
- the current fashion, style, or vogue.
- a suffix formerly used to form nouns from adjectives: simpleton; singleton.
- ton (Thesaurus)