Jazz Series(1979). In the 1960s he was a founder of the Cinque Gallery, which was intended to help young artists, and in 1963 the Spiral Group, which aided African-American artists.
See biography by J. Greenberg (2003) M. Schwartzman, Romare Bearden, His Life and Art (1990) R. Fine, ed., The Art of Romare Bearden (2003) R. J. Powell, et al., Conjuring Bearden (2006).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: American and Canadian Art: Biographies
Browse By Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-