Zerah zē´rə [key], in the Bible.
Younger of the twin sons of Judah and his daughter-in-law Tamar. The following patronymics are apparently derived from his name: Zarhite, Izrahite, and Ezrahite.
Duke of Edom. Gen. 36.13,17 1 Chron. 1.37.
Father of an Edomite king.
Leader of an Ethiopian invasion of Judah defeated by King Asa. He is not otherwise known in history.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Biblical Proper Names: Biographies
Browse By Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-