squeeze box,used to soothe autistic people. A professor at Colorado State Univ., she has written several books, among them Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships (with S. Barron, 2005), Animals in Translation (with C. Johnson, 2006), and Animals Make Us Human (2009).
See her Emergence: Labeled Autistic (with M. M. Scariano, 1986, repr. 1996), Thinking in Pictures and Other Reports from My Life with Autism (1995), and The Way I See It: A Personal Look at Autism and Asperger's (2008) A. W. Sacks, An Anthropologist on Mars (1995).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Biology: Biographies
Browse By Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-