Ahaziah āhəzī´ə [key], in the Bible.
1 King of Israel, son of Ahab. He was a worthy successor of his father only in that he followed Ahab's religious views. He was succeeded by his brother Jehoram 1. 2 King of Judah, son of Jehoram 2 and Athaliah 1. He was considered a typical descendant of Ahab. He was killed in Jehu's coup while visiting at Jezreel. His mother succeeded him. He is also called Azariah and Jehoahaz.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Biblical Proper Names: Biographies
Browse By Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-