Amariah ăm˝ərī´ə [key], in the Bible.
1 High priest, son of Meraioth. Perhaps he is the same as 2 and 3. 2 High priest, son of Azariah. Perhaps he is the same as 1, 3, and 4. 3 Ancestor of Ezra. Perhaps he is the same as 1 and 2. 4 High priest under Jehoshaphat. Perhaps he is the same as 2. 5 Levite. 6, 7 Contemporaries of Ezra, perhaps the same person. 8 A priestly family. See Immer 1 and Imri 1. 9 Ancestor of the prophet Zephaniah.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Biblical Proper Names: Biographies
Browse By Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-