Hananiah hănənī´ə [key].
1 One of the Three Young Men . According to the Book of Daniel, he was one of Daniel's three companions and was also known as Shadrach. 2 In the Book of Jeremiah, a false prophet. 3 In 1 Chronicles, son of Zerubbabel. 4 In 1 Chronicles, a musician. 5 Father of Zedekiah 4. 6 Grandfather of Irijah . 7 In 1 Chronicles, a Benjamite. 8 In 2 Chronicles, captain under King Uzziah. 9 In the Book of Ezra, man who had a foreign wife. 10 In the Book of Nehemiah, sealer of the Covenant. 11, 12 In Nehemiah, repairers of the wall. 13 In Nehemiah, a chief priest. 14 In Nehemiah, priest at the dedication of the walls. 15 In Nehemiah, governor in Jerusalem. Ananias and Annas are Greek forms of this name.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Biblical Proper Names: Biographies
Browse By Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-