Johanan jōhā´năn [key] [short form of Jehohanan ], in the Bible.
1 Captain who led in the rescue of the captives of Ishmael. 2 Descendant of David. 3, 4 Two of David's men. 5 Chief priest. He also appears as Jonathan in the Book of Nehemiah. 6 Son of King Josiah. 7 Father of Azariah 6. 8 Father of Azariah 19. 9 Head of a family in the return from the Exile. 10 Son of Tobiah 1.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Biblical Proper Names: Biographies
Browse By Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-