Shallum shăl´əm [key], in the Bible.
1 King of Israel for a month. He killed King Zachariah for the throne and was himself killed by Menahem . 2 King of Judah: see Jehoahaz 2. 3 In 1 Kings, husband of Huldah. 4 In 1 Chronicles, chief of a family of porters called Meshullam in Nehemiah. 5 See Meshelemiah . 6 In Nehemiah, ruler of part of Jerusalem. 7 In 1 Chronicles and Ezra, priest also called Meshullam in 1 Chronicles and Nehemiah. 8 See Shillem . 9 In 1 Chronicles, Simeonite. 10 In 2 Chronicles, Ephraimite. 11, 12 In Ezra, men who had foreign wives. 13 In 1 Chronicles, descendant of Jerahmeel. 14 In 1 Chronicles, eponymous head of a clan of Naphtali. 15 In Jeremiah, uncle of Jeremiah.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Biblical Proper Names: Biographies
Browse By Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-