homelandof Bophuthatswana . The province is bounded by Botswana on the north, Limpopo on the northeast, Gauteng on the east, Free State on the south, and Northern Cape on the west.
The capital and largest city is Mahikeng . The province is dry, stretching to the Kalahari desert in the west. Although it is mainly flat, the Magaliesberg mountains rise in the northeast. The Vaal River forms the province's southern boundary.
Mining, the chief economic activity in North West, yields platinum, gold, uranium, granite, marble, and diamonds. Sheep and cattle are raised, and corn, sunflowers, cotton, tobacco, and citrus fruits are grown. Manufacturing produces automotive parts, electrical machinery, and electrical, electronic, and medical equipment. The resorts and casinos of Sun City are also important to the economy. The principal languages are Setswana, Afrikaans, and Xhosa.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: South African Political Geography
Browse By Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-