Stargard Szczeciński stär´gärt shchĕchēN´skē [key], formerly Stargard in Pommern ĭn pô´mərn [key], town (1994 est. pop. 72,000), Zachodniopomorskie prov., NW Poland. It is a rail junction and has metalworking and chemical industries. Chartered in the 13th cent., the town later joined the Hanseatic League. It was the capital of Farther Pomerania, with which it passed to Brandenburg in 1648. The town, which was virtually obliterated during World War II, remained in German hands until its incorporation into Poland in 1945.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Polish Political Geography