Blennerhassett Island, in the Ohio River, near Parkersburg, W.Va. On it Harman Blennerhassett built a mansion and a laboratory for his study. The island was ransacked by the local militia when Aaron Burr 's schemes, with which Blennerhassett was connected, were declared traitorous by President Thomas Jefferson.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See N. F. Schneider, Blennerhassett Island and the Burr Conspiracy (1938).
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Physical Geography
Browse By Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-