Affton, uninc. city (1990 pop. 21,106), St. Louis co., E Mo., a suburb of St. Louis. Manufacturing includes machinery and medical equipment. Settled in the mid-1800s largely by German immigrants, Affton mainly consisted of truck farms until after World War II.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
Oakland,a mid-19th century mansion, is notable.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography
Browse By Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-