Michigan State University
Michigan State University, at East Lansing land-grant and state supported coeducational chartered 1855. It opened in 1857 as Michigan Agricultural College, the first state agricultural college. From 1925 to 1959 it was known as Michigan State College of Agriculture and Applied Science, and in 1964 its present name was adopted. The state agricultural experiment station and an agricultural technology institute are there. The university operates a statewide extension service. Its library contains an outstanding collection of books relating to veterinary medicine.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, U.S.
Browse By Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-