Synonyms of family
- 1. family, household, house, home, menage, unit, social unit
- usage: a social unit living together; "he moved his family to Virginia"; "It was a good Christian household"; "I waited until the whole house was asleep"; "the teacher asked how many people made up his home"
- 2. family, family unit, kin, kin group, kinship group, kindred, clan, tribe
- usage: primary social group; parents and children; "he wanted to have a good job before starting a family"
- 3. class, category, family, collection, aggregation, accumulation, assemblage
- usage: a collection of things sharing a common attribute; "there are two classes of detergents"
- 4. family, family line, folk, kinfolk, kinsfolk, sept, phratry, lineage, line, line of descent, descent, bloodline, blood line, blood, pedigree, ancestry, origin, parentage, stemma, stock
- usage: people descended from a common ancestor; "his family has lived in Massachusetts since the Mayflower"
- 5. kin, kinsperson, family, relative, relation
- usage: a person having kinship with another or others; "he's kin"; "he's family"
- 6. family, taxonomic group, taxonomic category, taxon
- usage: (biology) a taxonomic group containing one or more genera; "sharks belong to the fish family"
- 7. syndicate, crime syndicate, mob, family, organized crime, gangland, gangdom
- usage: a loose affiliation of gangsters in charge of organized criminal activities
- 8. family, fellowship, association
- usage: an association of people who share common beliefs or activities; "the message was addressed not just to employees but to every member of the company family"; "the church welcomed new members into its fellowship"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of family (Dictionary)