John McCain: Campaign Issues
Where he stands
- Favors deploying more troops.
- Strengthen Iraqi armed forces and police.
- Keep senior officers in place.
- Call for international pressure on Syria and Iran to get involved to help stabilize Iraq.
- Implement new counterinsurgency strategy.
- Accelerate political and economic reconstruction.
- Encourage developing nations, China, and India to join with other countries to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases
- Implement a mandatory cap-and-trade system to reduce carbon emissions
- Seek ways to eliminate U.S. dependence on foreign oil
- Limit carbon emissions by harnessing market forces that will bring advanced technologies, such as nuclear energy, to the market faster
- Vows to secure U.S. borders
- Supports a temporary worker program
- Recognize the importance of the assimilation of our immigrant population, which includes learning English, American history and civics, and respecting the values of a democratic society
- Allow national insurance companies to sell across state borders.
- Foster development of routes for safe, cheaper generic drugs and biologic pharmaceuticals; safety protocols to permit re-importation.
- Eliminate bias for employer-sponsored health insurance, and $2,500 Health Insurance Credit for individuals ($5,000 for families).
- Portable insurance.
- Give veterans access to local physicians.
- Require states receiving Medicaid to develop financial "risk adjustment" bonus to high-cost and low-income families.
- Individual insurance through any organization or association.
- Promote competition in health care system.
- Tax cuts for middle class families; repeal Alternative Minimum Tax.
- Make Bush income and investment tax cuts permanent.
- Permanent R&D tax credit.
- Tax deductions for college tuition.
- Favors school choice: vouchers, charters, home-schooling.
- Tax-free savings accounts for education expenses.
- More from Campaign 2008