- / World & News
- / Countries of the World
- / Bulgaria
- / Former wrestler and bodyguard elected prime minister
Bulgaria | Former Wrestler and Bodyguard Elected Prime Minister
- Bulgaria Main Page
- Bulgaria's First Non-Communist Government Gains Power
- Former Wrestler and Bodyguard Elected Prime Minister
- Borisov Resigns after Protests Erupt
- 2014 Banking Crisis Causes Fallout, Oresharski Resigns
Former Wrestler and Bodyguard Elected Prime Minister
During general elections in July 2009, the centre-right GERB party led by Boyko Borisov prevailed, defeating incumbent Sergei Stanishev, who had failed to crack down on corruption and organized crime during his four years in office. The burly Borisov became prime minister and promised to crack down on corruption and revive Bulgaria's weak economy, which suffered during the global financial crisis.
Rosen Plevneliev, Bulgaria's former construction minister, won the second round of the presidential election in October 2011. He represents the party Citizens for the European Development of Bulgaria.