Updated February 21, 2017 | Factmonster Staff
- In ancient times gloves were worn to protect working hands.
- In the Middle Ages gloves were worn as a sign of wealth and power. Common people wore mittens.
- In the nineteenth century, society women and men wore gloves indoors and out. Black silk gloves were worn indoors during the daytime; white gloves were worn out at night.
Many social customs involved gloves.
- Gloves were surrendered as a forfeit for an error or a crime.
- Gloves were given as party favors at weddings.
- Knights in armor carried gloves as talismans in their helmets during tournaments. The gloves belonged to a loved one.
- Gloves were used as a pledge.
- Gloves were thrown down as a challenge.