Earth Science Projects
Science projects for all grades.
More Science Projects
Starting a Science Project
- What Makes A Good Science Project?
- Some advice from a science fair judge
- The Parts of a Science Project
- The idea behind a science project is to discover "what happens if." What happens to one thing if you change something else?
- Science Fair Projects: Understanding and Using the Scientific Method
- The scientific method is extremely important to your science fair project, and understanding it is critical to the success of your science fair experiment.
- Questions From Science Judges
- How did you come up with the idea for this project? and more
Earth Science Projects For Beginners
- What Kind of Trash Bag Breaks Down Fastest?
- Americans generate about 4.6 pounds of trash per person—every day. Test different types of trash bags, and determine which type of bag is the most biodegradable.
- For reference: Plastic, The Three R's of the Environment, User's Guide to Environmental Language
- Is One Room of Your House Colder Than Another?
- Identify the temperature variations of different parts of your house, and then to figure out what causes the differences to occur.
- For reference: Measuring the Temperature, Temperature
- What Factors Are Conducive to Fog?
- Identify when fog occurs by keeping a weather journal over the course of two months
- For reference: Dew, Fog
Earth Science Projects For Intermediate Levels
- Which Materials Insulate Best Against Windchill?
- The windchill factor is not an actual temperature, but a measure of how quickly heat is lost from an object. Experiment with different materials to check out which ones protect water exposed to wind.
- For reference: Revised Wind Chill Index, Convection
- Do Clouds Tell Us What Weather Is Coming?
- Observing clouds can tell us a lot about what kind of weather to expect. The experiment described in this section will help you to know what to look for when using clouds to predict upcoming weather.
- For reference: Clouds and Cloud Formation, Ten Major Cloud Types, Cloud, What Kind of Cloudy Is It?
- What Factors Most Affect Evaporation?
- Experiment to test the different factors that affect the evaporation rate of water.
- For reference: Evaporation, Potential and Kinetic Energy
Earth Science Projects For Advanced Levels
- How Can Different Polymers Be Identified?
- Examine six types of plastic and make comparisons between all of them. Can you differentiate between various types of plastic, based on their physical and chemical properties?
- For reference: Plastic, Polymer, The Three R's of the Environment, User's Guide to Environmental Language
- How Much Oxygen Is in the Air?
- You can test how much oxygen is in the air by making a controlled environment and using a common material to pull the oxygen out of the air.
- For reference: The Atmosphere, Nitrogen, Oxygen