Museum of Modern Art
A permanent building, boxy and in the International Style, designed by Philip L. Goodwin and Edward Durell Stone, was erected in midtown Manhattan in 1939. A new wing designed by Philip Johnson was added in 1964, and the building was renovated and expanded again in 1984 by Cesar Pelli and Associates, principally with the addition of a 52-story residential tower. MoMA Manhattan quarters were subsequently enlarged and redesigned (2002–4) by the Japanese architect Yoshio Taniguchi in a highly refined modernist style. During this work the collection housed in a former factory in Long Island City, dubbed MoMA QNS, that had been reconfigured by the architect Michael Maltzan; the Queens space is now used as a storage and study facility. In 2019 further renovations by Diller Scofidio & Renfro in collaboration with Gensler added to the gallery space, and the permanent collection was rehung to include new art, much of it multicultural and recently acquired. The main-floor gallery now juxtaposes various periods and cultures, and painting, sculpture, design, architecture, ceramics, and film are now shown together, illustrating relationships and differences.
See catalog of paintings in the permanent collection by H. Frank (1973); R. Lynes, Good Old Modern: An Intimate Portrait of the Museum of Modern Art (1973); S. Hunter, The Museum of Modern Art, New York (1984, repr. 1997); G. D. Lowry, MOMA Highlights: 325 Works from The Museum of Modern Art (2002); J. Elderfield, ed., Modern Painting and Sculpture: 1880 to the Present from The Museum of Modern Art (2004).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Art museums