Since the 1980s Morris's dances have attracted great interest for their craftsmanship, ingenuity, musicality, and iconoclastic choreography as well as their sometimes eclectic and always live musical accompaniments his solo performance of O Rangasayee, for example, was danced to an Indian raga. He won particular acclaim for The Hard Nut (1991), a campily ebullient version of The Nutcracker set in the 1960s. Generally less ironic and more serious in tone, his many other works include L'Allegro, Il Penseroso, ed Il Moderato (1988) Dido and Aeneas (1989) The Office (1995) Greek to Me (2000), a dance version of the Virgil Thomson –Gertrude Stein opera Four Saints in Three Acts (2001) a new version of the classic ballet Sylvia (2004) a joyous vaudevillesque version of Purcell 's King Arthur (2006) a new ballet to Prokofiev 's Romeo and Juliet (2008) Socrates (2010), a modern dance piece with sung and spoken text and a dance interpretation of Handel 's Acis and Galatea (2014). Morris retired as a dancer in 2006.
See biography by J. Acocella (1993, repr. 2004) J. Escoffier and M. Lore, ed., Mark Marris's l'Allegro, Il Pensoroso, ed Il Moderato: A Celebration (2001) T. Grimm, dir., Dance in America: Mark Morris with the Mark Morris Dance Group (video, 1986).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Dance: Biographies
Browse By Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-