The New City and Other Districts
The New City, extending west and southwest of the Old City, has developed tremendously since the 19th cent. It is the site of several educational institutions, as well as the Knesset (Israeli parliament) and other government buildings (including the striking Supreme Court building, which opened in 1992). Yad Vashem, a memorial to the Holocaust, is also in that section of the city. To the east of the Old City is the Valley of the Kidron, beyond which lie the Garden of Gethsemane and the Mount of Olives. To the north is Mt. Scopus, a Jewish intellectual center that is the site of the Hadassah Medical Center, Hebrew Univ., and the Jewish National Library. Another campus of Hebrew Univ. is located on the western edge of the city at Ein Karem. From 1948 to 1967, Mt. Scopus was an Israeli exclave in Arab territory. To the west and south of the Old City runs the Valley of Hinnom; this meets the Kidron near the pool of Siloam, which is next to the site of the original city of Jerusalem, now partly excavated and called the City of David; the Acra, a Seleucid (Greek Syrian) fortress, may have been at the northern end of this area. Since the 1967 war, Israel has annexed the Old City and annexed and combined areas in the West Bank neighboring the Old City into Jerusalem, greatly enlarging East Jerusalem but also confining Arabs to existing Palestinian neighborhoods.
Sections in this article:
- The Old City
- The New City and Other Districts
- Cultural and Educational Institutions
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2023, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Israeli Political Geography