Flint Hills) was there. European settlement began in 1833. Burlington was the temporary capital of Wisconsin Territory (1837) and of Iowa Territory (1838–40). One of the oldest newspapers in the state, the Burlington Hawk-Eye, is still published. The city has several parks along the Mississippi.
Regulators clashed with British troops c.5 mi (8 km) south of Burlington the site is in Alamance Battleground State Park. A notable wildlife museum is in the city.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography
Browse By Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-