City (1990 pop. 34,439), San Bernardino co., SE Calif., in a citrus-grove area at the foot of the San Bernardino Mts. It has citrus-packing plants and some light industry. Highland developed with the growth of agribusiness and aircraft industries in S California. Norton Air Force Base, which was adjacent to the community, closed in 1994.
Town (1990 pop. 23,696), Lake co., extreme NW Ind., in the Chicago metropolitan area settled 1850 as Clough Postal Station, name changed to Highland in 1888, inc. 1910. Manufactures include dairy products and mineral granules for sandblasting.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography
Browse By Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-