City (1990 pop. 5,146), Worcester co., SE Md., largest ocean resort in the state inc. 1880. Ocean City is 28 mi (45 km) E of Salisbury and extends 10 mi (16 km) along a penisular barrier beach. Tourism is its economic mainstay, and the population greatly increases during the summer months.
City (1990 pop. 15,512), Cape May co., SE N.J., a resort on the Atlantic coast inc. 1897. Ocean City is an 8-mi-long (13-km) island between the Atlantic Ocean and Great Egg Harbor Bay it is linked to the mainland by a 2-mi (3.2-km) causeway. Its boardwalk, amusement rides, and proximity to other New Jersey beaches make it a popular summer vacation spot.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography
Browse By Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-