Dickinson College, at Carlisle, Pa.; coeducational; Methodist; founded 1773 as The Grammar School, chartered and opened as Dickinson College 1783. Chartered as a college primarily through the efforts of Benjamin Rush , it was named for John Dickinson . The Dickinson School of Law, established as a department of Dickinson College in 1834 and separately incorporated in 1890, has been part of Pennsylvania State Univ. since 2000.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, U.S.