Grinnell College, at Grinnell, Iowa; coeducational; incorporated 1847 as Iowa College, opened 1848 by Congregationalists at Davenport. The college moved to Grinnell in 1859, under the auspices of Josiah B. Grinnell. It was named Grinnell College in 1909. Among its facilities and programs are the Conard Environmental Research Area and the Rosenfield Program in Public Affairs, International Relations, and Human Rights.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, U.S.