Hawaii, University of
Hawaii, University of, at Honolulu (Manoa Campus), Hilo, and Pearl City (West Oahu Campus) with additional community college campuses; land-grant and state supported; coeducational; chartered 1907, opened 1908 as the College of Agricultural and Mechanic Arts. It became the College of Hawaii in 1911 and assumed its present name in 1920. In 1960 the federal government created the Center for Cultural and Technical Interchange between East and West on the Manoa campus. The university maintains institutes of astronomy, geophysics, marine biology, and biomedical research and the Lyon Arboretum in Manoa Valley.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, U.S.