Mary Washington College
Mary Washington College, mainly at Fredericksburg, Va.; state supported; chartered 1908 as the State Normal and Industrial School for Women; first given its present name in 1938; coeducational since 1970. A liberal arts school after 1934, it was consolidated (1944–72) with the Univ. of Virginia, becoming the undergraduate women's arts and sciences division. The Center for Historic Preservation is there. Its James Monroe Center, in Stafford, also offers postgraduate and professional education.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, U.S.